One of the most common questions raised by businesspeople is how to handle difficult people. This question contains a hidden assumption: Faced with abrasive, competitive, and even unethical behavior, we view ourselves as being in the right and the other party as being wholly wrong. Yet it’s important to consider that, in our real-life conflict scenarios, … Read More
Discover how to collaborate, negotiate, and bargain with even the most combative opponents with, Dealing with Difficult People, a FREE special report from the Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School.
diffusing difficult situations
The following items are tagged diffusing difficult situations:
- Negotiation Master Class November 2022 Program Guide
- Negotiation and Leadership In-Person Fall 2022 Brochure
- Negotiation and Leadership In-Person Spring/Summer 2022 Brochure
- Negotiation and Leadership March and April 2022 Brochure
- Make the Most of Online Negotiations
- Managing Multiparty Negotiations
- Getting the Deal Done
- Salary Negotiations
- Overcoming Cultural Barriers in Negotiation
- Negotiation Training: How Harvard Negotiation Exercises, Negotiation Cases and Good Negotiation Coaching Can Make You a Better Negotiator
Teaching Negotiation Resource Center
Preparing for Negotiation
Understanding how to arrange the meeting space is a key aspect of preparing for negotiation. In this video, Professor Guhan Subramanian discusses a real world example of how seating arrangements can influence a negotiator’s success. This discussion was held at the 3 day executive education workshop for senior executives at the Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School.
Guhan Subramanian is the Professor of Law and Business at the Harvard Law School and Professor of Business Law at the Harvard Business School.
Articles & Insights
- Business Negotiations
- Bargaining for a New Car: Real World Negotiations Examples
- Contract Negotiations and Business Communication: How to Write an Iron-Clad Contract
- Business Negotiation Skills to Curb Your Overconfidence
- Negotiation Skills: Four Steps for Changing Negotiation Practices in Your Organization
- Business Negotiations: How to Improve Your Reputation at the Bargaining Table
- Conflict Resolution
- Crisis Negotiations
- Dealing with Difficult People
- Dear Negotiation Coach: Deal Structuring and Negotiating with “Bad Acts”
- Try a Contingent Contract if You Can’t Agree on What Will Happen
- The Winner’s Curse: Avoid This Common Trap in Auctions
- Should Women “Lean In” to Create More Value in Negotiations?
- Negotiated Agreements: Why You Should Limit Your Options
- Dispute Resolution
- Negotiation Case Studies: Google’s Approach to Dispute Resolution
- Difficult Situations at Work – Negotiation Skills for Dealing with Difficult People
- Dispute Resolution on Facebook: Using a Negotiation Approach to Resolve a Conflict
- Alternative Dispute Resolution In-House: Mediation, Arbitration, or Med-Arb?
- Dispute Resolution, NHL style
- International Negotiation
- Dear Negotiation Coach: How Can I Improve My Cross-Cultural Negotiation Skills?
- Dispute Resolution for India and Bangladesh
- Cross Cultural Negotiations in International Business: Four Negotiation Tips for Bargaining in China
- Famous Negotiators: Tony Blair’s 10 Principles to Guide Diplomats in International Conflict Resolution
- International Negotiations and Agenda Setting: Controlling the Flow of the Negotiation Process
- Leadership Skills
- Negotiation Research on Mediation Techniques: Focus on Interests
- Mediation vs Arbitration – The Alternative Dispute Resolution Process
- Interest-Based Negotiation: In Mediation, Focus on Your Goals
- Using E-Mediation and Online Mediation Techniques for Conflict Resolution
- Negotiations and Logrolling: Discover Opportunities to Generate Mutual Gains
- Negotiation Skills
- Body Language in Negotiation Can Build Rapport—Without Saying a Word
- Distributive Bargaining Strategies
- Negotiation Techniques To Get New Business Partnerships Off on the Right Foot
- Negotiation Skills Training: Define Your Negotiation Style
- Negotiation Skills: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback
- Negotiation Training
- Negotiation Training: What’s Special About Technology Negotiations?
- Best Negotiation Books: A Negotiation Reading List
- Use a Negotiation Preparation Worksheet for Continuous Improvement
- The Importance of a Relationship in Negotiation
- Ethics and Negotiation: 5 Principles of Negotiation to Boost Your Bargaining Skills in Business Situations
- Salary Negotiations
- Teaching Negotiation
- Three-Party Coalition All-In-One Curriculum Package Now Available!
- The Collective Leadership Approach to Negotiating Climate Action
- Planning for Cyber Defense of Critical Urban Infrastructure
- Bakra Beverage All-In-One Curriculum Package is Now Available!
- Asynchronous Learning: Negotiation Exercises to Keep Students Engaged Outside the Classroom
- Win-Win Negotiations