Ford Foundation Professor of Urban and Environmental Planning, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Director of the Teaching Negotiation Resource Center, Program on Negotiation, Harvard Law School
Director of the MIT-Harvard Public Disputes Program
Vice Chair-Pedagogy, Program on Negotiation, Harvard Law School
As one of the founders of the Program on Negotiation, Lawrence Susskind has delivered specialized negotiation and mediation training to more than 40,000 executives from around the world. A visiting lecturer at more than 50 universities in 20 countries, including Harvard and Stanford Law Schools, he has published more than 70 teaching simulations and a dozen teaching videos. At the Program on Negotiation he teaches the Master Class and Advanced Mediation.
Widely considered an authority on complex, multiparty negotiations, Susskind has mediated countless complex disputes and, in his role with the Consensus Building Institute, advised the supreme courts of Israel, Ireland, and the Philippines; helped facilitate a variety of international treaty-making efforts; developed conflict assessment and joint fact-finding techniques; evaluated collaborative adaptive management efforts; and helped organizational leaders cultivate and improve their negotiating capabilities.
B.A., Columbia University
M.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Conflict, dispute resolution, mediation, and participatory planning, environmental planning and management, land use law and planning, landscape architecture and natural systems, real estate, urban information, technology, and media and analytics
- Good for You, Great for Me: Finding the Trading Zone and Winning at Win-Win Negotiation. Public Affairs Press, 2014.
- With Jeffrey Cruikshank. Breaking Robert’s Rules: The New Way to Run Your Meeting, Build Consensus, and Get Results. Oxford, 2006.
- With Hallam Movius. Built to Win: Creating a World-Class Negotiating Organization. Harvard Business School Publishing, 2009.
- With Larry Crump, eds. Multiparty Negotiation. Sage, 2008.
- With Sarah McKearnen and Jennifer Thomas-Lamar. The Consensus Building Handbook. Sage, 1999.
- With Patrick Field. Dealing with an Angry Public. Free Press, 1996.
- “Balancing Analysis and Intuition.”Negotiation Journal 33, no. 4 (2017): 323–327.
No Responses to “Lawrence Susskind, Vice Chair of Pedagogy, PON Executive Committee”