Eli Goldston Professor of Business Administration at Harvard Business School
Deepak Malhotra is the Eli Goldston Professor of Business Administration at Harvard Business School. He is the author of Negotiating the Impossible and The Peacemaker’s Code, and co-author (with Max Bazerman) of Negotiation Genius. Malhotra’s teaching, research and advisory work is focused on negotiation, deal-making, diplomacy, and conflict resolution. He has won numerous awards for his teaching and research and has been twice selected by Harvard MBA students to give the end-of-year speech to the graduating class. In 2020, Deepak was named “MBA Professor of the Year” by Poets & Quants.
Outside HBS, he is a trainer, consultant, and advisor to firms and CEOs across the globe, and an advisor to governments that are trying to negotiate an end to protracted and intractable armed conflicts.
B.A., University of Michigan
Ph.D., Northwestern University Kellogg School of Management
Negotiation strategy, trust development, international and ethnic dispute resolution, and competitive escalation
- The Peacemaker’s Code, published February 24, 2021. The Peacemaker’s Code won the 2021 NIEA Book Award for Best Science Fiction.
- Negotiating the Impossible: How to Break Deadlocks and Resolve Ugly Conflicts (without Money or Muscle), Berrett-Koehler Publishers, (2016.)
- Negotiation Genius: How to Overcome Obstacles and Achieve Brilliant Results at the Bargaining Table and Beyond
- I Moved Your Cheese: For Those Who Refuse to Live as Mice in Someone Else’s Maze, Berrett-Koehler Publishers, (2011.)
- “Without Conditions: The Case for Negotiating with the Enemy,” Foreign Affairs 88, no. 5 (September–October 2009): 84–90.
- “When Contracts Destroy Trust.” Harvard Business Review 87, no. 5 (May 2009): 25.
- “(When) Are Religious People Nicer? Religious Salience and the ‘Sunday Effect’ on Pro-social Behavior.” Judgment and Decision Making 5, no. 2 (April 2010): 138–143.