$0.00 – $6.00
Short three-party scoreable negotiation among representatives of three organizations over the integrative and distributive aspects of a possible 2- or 3-party coalition
Three independent organizations, "A," "B" and "C," have sent representatives to a three-way negotiation. The representatives have learned that there are benefits to working together. If all three groups reach an agreement, benefits totaling 121 points will be split three ways (to be determined by the participants). If only two of the organizations reach an agreement, the total benefits to be split will be less than 121 (varying, depending on which two organizations join together) and the third party will be left with nothing.
You can see students practicing the Three-Party Coalition Exercise negotiation game in this free video:
- The concept of BATNA can be examined, since each participant has the information he or she needs to calculate the expected value of various deals.
- The power of seemingly "weak" players can be enhanced through the creation of blocking coalitions.
- When played by several groups at the same time, the comparison of outcomes is effective.
- The exercise can also be used to raise questions about the basis for arbitrating multi-party disputes.
For more information on the lessons of this game, see Howard Raiffa's book "The Art and Science of Negotiation" (Harvard University Press), also available from the TNRC.
- This exercise is designed for three participants. Preparation should take 5-10 minutes. Negotiations require 15-20 minutes; more time is useful.
- Room with seating for multiple groups of 3. An overhead transparency projector is useful since some of the materials include transparencies.
For all parties:
- General Instructions
- All of the above
- Teaching Note
- Overhead transparency masters
BATNA; Closure; Coalitions; Competition v. Cooperation; Creativity; Currently perceived choice analysis; Decision analysis; Options, generating; Quantitative analysis
The Parking Facility Venture
Rushing River Cleanup
Three-Party Coalition Exercise Attributes
|Time required:||1-2 hours|
|Number of participants:||3|
|Neutral third party present:||None|
|Teaching notes available:||Yes|
|Non-English version available:||French, Spanish, German, Norwegian, Turkish|