$0.00 – $6.00
Four- or five-person negotiation to settle an employee’s claim of discriminatory firing and employer’s claim of illegal conduct; negotiators represent each party, with optional fifth role who knows confidential details of each party’s case
Alex Appros was a well-qualified and efficient employee of Costless, a consumer outlet chain, who quickly advanced within the company hierarchy. After three years at Costless, Appros was fired under allegations of embezzlement. Appros claims that this firing was based solely on his supervisor’s racial prejudice, and he is now suing the company for discrimination. Both sides wish to avoid trial and the possible accompanying publicity, so they have each hired a negotiator to settle the dispute. Each side possesses undisclosed information which may bear on the outcome of the settlement, and it is up to the clients to determine how much of this information to divulge to their respective negotiators.
The case is designed for four to five people: one person who will play Appros, one who will play the Vice President of Costless, and one negotiator on each side. There is also an optional role for Costless’ accountant, who is familiar with the undisclosed information of each side. Preparation should take about 60 minutes for each participant, client interviews should last 30-40 minutes and the actual negotiation should take between 60-90 minutes.
- How does internal conflict over these issues manifest itself in verbal and nonverbal behavior? What differential effects do different negotiation techniques have on the level of conflict — can partisan perceptions be strengthened by some approaches, greater understanding promoted by others? Which is desirable on an individual or societal level?
- This case provides an excellent opportunity to plan, practice, and test skills in “separating the people from the problem,” and dealing with each on their own merits.
Confidential Instructions for:
- Alex Appros
- Chris Clarion
- Negotiator for Alex Appros
- Negotiator for Chris Clarion and Vice President of Costless
- (Optional) William Walters, Accountant for Costless
- Questionnaire for Alex Appros
- Questionnaire for Chris Clarion
Teacher’s Package (25 pages total):
- All of the above
- Teacher’s Note
Negotiator-Client relationship; Disclosure; Illegal conduct; BATNA; Interests; Options, generating; Preparation
Costless Warehouse Attributes
|Time required:||1-2 hours|
|Number of participants:||4|
|Neutral third party present:||None|
|Teaching notes available:||Yes|