Alain Lempereur is the Alan B. Slifka Professor at Brandeis University, and the director of the Masters’ Programs in Coexistence and Conflict at the Heller School for Social Policy and Management. He is a member of the Executive Committee of the Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School, where he was also a visiting professor. One of his books The First Move. A Negotiator’s Companion has been published in several languages. Recently, the Financial Times designated him “Professor of the Week” for his academic contribution. His current research is devoted to responsible negotiation.
Mediator in conflicts and negotiation expert, he develops worldwide programs of research, consulting, and executive education on responsible leadership and negotiation. He advises international organizations, such as the EU, NATO, OECD, UNDP, UNITAR, and WHO. Negotiation pioneer in Europe, he founded the academic institute Irene, which he led as its first director (1995-2008); he then became the ESSEC Negotiation and Mediation Chair Professor. He designed and led training programs for many universities and graduate schools (CIIM, Centrale Paris, ENA, ENPC, ESSEC Exec Ed, EuroMed, Lebanese University, Lotus University at Ho Chi Minh City, and the Universities of Brussels, Corsica, Mannheim, Mons, and Paris). He also advises consulting firms, like the Boston Consulting Group and McKinsey, as well as international corporations.
Through the Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington, he facilitated reconciliation and leadership programs in Africa, like in Burundi (2003-2007) and in the D.R. Congo (2006-2009). In 2003, he initiated the Negotiators of the World programs and in 2004, developed the negotiation curriculum for the European Commission. He belongs to the UN mediators’ network, and also moderated local and global meetings for the International Dialogue on Peacebuilding and Statebuilding (2009-2011).
Professor Lempereur received his M.Phil. and his M.Law from the University of Brussels and his S.J.D. from Harvard Law School. He was a Frank Boas Fellow, a Fulbright Fellow and a Fellow from the 21st Century Trust.
Alain, and his wife, Michele Pekar, have three children, Daria, Henri and Emery.
Links to webpage for recent news and publications by Professor Lempereur.
Links to COEX website
Courses Taught: Responsible Negotiation: (1) The Fundamentals & (2) Advanced (2011) – Responsible Leadership (2012) – Coexistence and Conflict (2013)
Research Interests: Responsible Negotiation, Conflict Resolution, Coexistence, Reconciliation, Mediation, Peace-building, Leadership, Philosophy of Law, Questioning
- Lempereur, A., Colson, A. The First Move. A Negotiator’s Companion. Ed. M. Pekar, England: Wiley 2010. Paris, France: Dunod, 2004, 20102. Ed. F. Robiolle, Teheran, Iran: Shirazeh, 2009. Ed. T. Sikharulidze, Tbilissi, Georgia: GCI, 2009. Ed. Y. Duzert, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: Atlas, 2009. Ed. T. Chao, Beijing, China: Beijing University Press, forthcoming.
- Lempereur, A. “For a Philosophy of Negotiation: When Reason Helps Science and History Meet.” International Negotiation: Foundations, Models, and Philosophies. C. Dupont. Ed. D. Druckman & W. Donohue, Dordrecht, The Netherlands: The Republic of Letters, Vol. 10, forthcoming.
- Gelfand, M., Raver, J., Nishii, L., Leslie, L., Lun, J., alii, Lempereur, A. “Differences Between Tight and Loose Cultures: A 33-Nation Study.” Science 332: 6033 (2011): 1100-1104.
- Lempereur, A. “Responsible Leadership,” “Mediation,” “Negotiation,” “Facilitation,” “Negomania,” FT Lexicon, Financial Times, 17 Feb 2011.
- Colson, A., Lempereur, A. “A Bridge to Lasting Peace: Post-Conflict Reconciliation and Mediation in Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo.” Mediation in Political Conflicts. Ed. J. Faget, England: Hart, 2011, 153-169.
- Lempereur, A., Salzer, J., Colson, A. Método de Mediacion. Mexico City, Mexico: Hachette, 2010. Paris, France: Dunod, 2008. Bucharest, 2011.
- Benharda, I., Brett, J., Lempereur, A. “Gender and Role in Conflict Management: Female and Male Managers as Third Parties. ” IACM 23rd Annual Conference Paper. Social Science Research Network. 21 May 2010. Working Paper Series, #1611863.
- Lempereur, A. “First Things First for Negotiators and Organizations.” Human Capital Review (2010): 1-4.
- Lempereur, A. “Leading Successful Negotiation on Behalf of Europe. An Analysis of the EC High-Ranking Officials’ Practices.” European Review 17. 3/4, (2009): 541-568
- Lempereur, A., Sebenius, J., Duzert, Y. Manual de Negociacoes Complexas. Rio, Brazil: FGV, 2009.
- Susskind, L., Duzert, Y., Lempereur, A. Faciliter la concertation. Paris, France: Eyrolles, 2009.
- Lempereur, A. ed. Le Leadership responsable. Paris, France: Gualino, 2009.
- Lempereur, A., Colson, A. ed. Négociations européennes. Paris, France: A2C, 2008.
- Lempereur, A. ed. New Trends in Negotiation Teaching. CDrom, Paris, France: Harvard PON – Essec Irene, 2005.
- Wolpe, H., McDonald, S., Nindorera, E., McClintock, E., al., Lempereur, A. “Rebuilding Peace and State Capacity in War-torn Burundi.” The Round Table 93. 375 (2004): 457-67.
- Lempereur, A., Sebenius, J. ed. La Négociation. Revue Française de Gestion 151, Paris, France (2004).
- Lempereur, A. “Innovation in Teaching Negotiation Towards a Relevant Use of Multimedia Tools.” International Negotiation 9: 1 (2004): 141-160.
- Adair, W., Brett, J., Lempereur, A., Lytle, A., Okumura, T., Shikhirev, P., Tinsley, C. “Culture and Negotiation Strategy.” Negotiation Journal 20: 1 (2004): 87-111.
- Beaufort, V. de, Lempereur, A. “Negotiating Mergers and Acquisitions in the European Union.” International Business Negotiations. Ed. P. Ghauri & JC Usunier, Oxford, England: Pergamon, 2003.
- Lempereur, A. ed., François de Callières. De la manière de négocier avec les souverains Geneva, Switzerland: Droz, 2002.
- Lempereur, A. ed. Towards a Dialogue between Conflict Theories and Practices across Paradigms and Cultures. CDrom, Paris, France: IACM, 2001.
- Lempereur, A. “Arbitration,” “Dispute Resolution,” “Mediation in Criminal Law,” “Perelman.” The Philosophy of Law. An Encyclopedia. Ed. C.B. Gray, New York, New York: Garland Publishing, 1999.
- Lempereur, A. “Negotiation and Mediation in France: The Challenge of Skill-Based Learning and Interdisciplinary Research in Legal Education.” Harvard Negotiation Law Review 3 (1998): 151-174.
- Brett, J., Adair, W., Lempereur, A., Lytle, A., Okumura, T., Shikhirev, P. “Culture and Joint Gains in Negotiation.” Negotiation Journal 14: 1 (1998): 61-86.