Alan B. Slifka Professor, Director of the Conflict Resolution and Coexistence Program, Heller School for Social Policy and Management, Brandeis University
Affiliated Faculty and Executive Committee Member, Program on Negotiation, Harvard Law School
Visiting Researcher, University of Geneva
Over the past 25 years, Alain Lempereur has conducted consulting missions and executive trainings for a broad range of international organizations, national governments, global consulting firms, and corporations in more than 60 countries. He has founded negotiation and leadership initiatives in Africa, the Middle East, and Europe. He headed the scientific committee of the Humanitarian Negotiation Exchange (HNx), a project of the Harvard Kennedy School’s Future of Diplomacy and ATHA (Advanced Training Program on Humanitarian Action) programs, and he belongs to the UN mediators’ network. He has also written a dozen books and more than 100 articles and book chapters.
In addition to Harvard University, he has been a visiting faculty member at the Afghan Institute of Diplomacy, the Algerian Institute of Diplomacy and International Affairs, the Cameroon Institute of International Relations, the College of Europe, the Cyprus International Institute for Management, the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, the Lebanese University, the Sciences Po Paris School of International Affairs, ParisTech, the UN University for Peace, and the universities of Brussels, Corsica, Mannheim, Mons, and Paris II and V.
M.Phil., Universite Libre de Bruxelles
LL.M., Universite Libre de Bruxelles
S.J.D., Harvard Law School
Responsible negotiation and leadership, humanitarian negotiation and mediation, conflict resolution, facilitation, rhetoric and argumentation
- With Elise Willer. “The Mediator as the Eye of the Storm: Active Perception of Emotions through the Nonverbal.” American Journal of Mediation10 (2018) (forthcoming).
- With L. Ligozat, M. Guderian, R. Grace, and C. Bruderlein. Developing the Capacity of Humanitarian Professionals to Negotiate on the Frontline. Report of the Second Annual Meeting of Frontline Humanitarian Negotiators. Geneva Center of Competence on Humanitarian Negotiation, 2018.
- “Questioning, Reason, and Revolutions.” Justice,March 2018.
- With Christelle Eyraud and Julie Habran. Host Country Agreements Negotiations. Paris MSF (Médecins Sans Frontières—Doctors without Borders). Sustainable Humanitarian Intervention through Exemption and Legal Derogation, 2017.
- With B. Mandell, E. Babbitt, A. Bell, and D. Wolf. Negotiating Conflict in the Middle East and North Africa: A System Analysis after the Arab Spring, the Iran Nuclear Deal, and the Rise of ISIS. Harvard Kennedy School Negotiation Project, 2017.