Alan B. Slifka Professor, Director of the Conflict Resolution and Coexistence Program, Heller School for Social Policy and Management, Brandeis University
Affiliated Faculty, Executive Committee Member and Academic Editor of Negotiation Briefings, Program on Negotiation, Harvard Law School
Alain Lempereur supports responsible negotiation worldwide through research, executive training and consulting. He published a dozen books, namely “The First Move. A Negotiator’s Companion” that appeared in a dozen languages, and contributed over 100 articles and book chapters. His research develops the “responsible negotiation” framework, applying it for example to leadership, and humanitarian negotiation.
Over the past 25 years, Alain Lempereur has conducted consulting missions and executive trainings for a broad range of international organizations, national governments, global consulting firms, and corporations in 70 countries. He has founded negotiation and leadership initiatives in Africa, the Middle East, and Europe. He was the founding director of Irene – a European negotiation institute that he led during fifteen years at ESSEC Business School, where he was a Negotiation and Mediation Chair Professor.
In addition to Harvard University, he has been a visiting faculty member at the Afghan Institute of Diplomacy, the Algerian Institute of Diplomacy and International Affairs, the Cameroon Institute of International Relations, the College of Europe, the Cyprus International Institute for Management, the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, the Lebanese University, the Sciences Po Paris School of International Affairs, ParisTech, the UN University for Peace, and the universities of Brussels, Corsica, Geneva, Mannheim, Mons, and Paris II and V. He is an instructif for the PON Global executive seminars.
M.Phil., Universite Libre de Bruxelles
M. Law, Universite Libre de Bruxelles
S.J.D., Harvard Law School
Responsible negotiation and leadership, humanitarian negotiation and mediation, conflict resolution, facilitation, rhetoric and argumentation
Selected recent publications
- “Negotiating Peace from Inside Out: Spinoza as a Responsible Trump.”Negotiation Journal. (2019), 35(1).
- “Responsible Negotiators Care Beyond the Deal Closing.” Negotiation Briefings (2018), 21(9): 8
- “The Distributive Knot: Negotiators’ Responsibility to Untie Complex Demands” (with Michele Pekar). Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing (2017), 32 (4), 535-54
- “Beyond Negocentrism: Questioning Selves, Relationships and Contexts,” Negotiation Journal. (2016), 32(4): 335-343
- “Humanitarian Negotiation to Protect: John Rabe and the Nanking International Safety Zone (1937-1938).” Group Decision and Negotiation.(2016), 25: 663-691
- Responsibility to Protect Trumps Business as Usual: How Corporate Leaders Build Heroism to Face Atrocities (with Rebecca Herrington). In: The Role of Business in the Responsibility to Protect. Ed. J. Forrer & C. Seyle. Cambridge (UK): Cambridge University Press, 2016, 69-97
- With Aurélien Colson and Michele Pekar. The First Move. A Negotiator’s Companion. Wiley, 2010