Bonus Day: July 20, 2023, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. ET
The 4P Framework for Strategic Negotiation and Leadership
Faculty: Robert Wilkinson
Leadership isn’t a job title. It’s the actions you take to solve a problem and the way you influence others to join you. Whether you’re mediating a disagreement among colleagues or negotiating a high-stakes deal, the outcomes hinge on how you rise to the occasion. In this new session, Harvard Kennedy School lecturer Robert Wilkinson shares a powerful framework for increasing your personal effectiveness as a leader and negotiator. Known as the 4P Framework, this highly effective model will help you negotiate across political and cultural divides, engage multiple stakeholders, and build consensus.
Leveraging real-world experience, academic literature, and in-depth research, Wilkinson will show you how to use the 4P Framework to excel across the four domains of leadership:
- Perception: Discover why you perceive the same information differently than others—and how to negotiate more effectively by fostering a shared understanding.
- Process: Learn why simple process choices—such as how you’re going to work together to resolve a dispute—have a major impact on outcomes.
- People: Recognize the human and emotional impact you have on people and learn ways to better regulate your own emotions at the bargaining table.
- Projection: Gain a greater understanding of the story you tell yourself about who you are—and where you’re going as a leader and negotiator.
By exploring both the internal elements you need to tackle on your own and the external ways you engage with others, this highly interactive program will help you:
- Negotiate with people who hold deeply differing views and perceptions
- Interact more effectively with group dynamics and process management
- Craft the vision you seek to project for yourself and for your negotiation counterparts, your colleagues, and the broader community
Through activities such as role-play simulations, case study explorations, and video analyses, you will gain the skills you need to achieve better outcomes in challenging leadership and negotiation situations.