Great negotiators utilize multiple strategies for dealing with obstacles and overcoming complications in negotiations. Key tactics include preparing systematically in advance, and focusing relentlessly on the interests of the other party, as well as one’s own.
In this video, Professor Mandell, Senior Lecturer in Public Policy at the Harvard Kennedy School, shares his thoughts on how to develop and utilize these important negotiation skills. The video includes excerpts from the workshop “Dealing with Obstacles and Complicating Factors” in the Program on Negotiation for Senior Executives.
To learn more about PON’s Executive Education courses, click here.
To see more PON negotiation videos, click here.
- Video: Setting the Stage for Productive Negotiations
- Negotiation Exercises to Help Your Students Avoid Cross-Cultural Pitfalls
- Conflict and Negotiation Case Study: Long-Term Business Partnerships and Negotiated Agreements
- Negotiation Master Class Fall 2017 Program Guide
- Building Coalitions: Apple and the Art of Persuasion