December 6, 2018
The Art of Saying No: Save the Deal, Save the Relationship, and Still Say No
This course is now closed.
1. Accommodate: Saying yes when we want to say no. In this approach, we stress the relationship even if it means sacrificing our own interests.
2. Attack: Saying no poorly. In this case, we use our power without concern for the relationship.
3. Avoid: Saying nothing at all. The third approach is avoidance, plain and simple.
Fortunately, there is a way out of this trap: a positive no. Challenging the assumption that you can either use power to get what you want (at the expense of the relationship) or use the relationship (at the expense of the power), this approach calls on you to use both at the same time, engaging the other in a constructive and respectful confrontation.
In this session, you will learn how to:
- Make your no firm and strong
- Resist the other side’s aggression and manipulation
- Defuse attacks and guilt tactics
- Get to the right yes—the one that truly serves your interests
Every participant will receive a free copy of The Power of a Positive No: Save the Deal, Save the Relationship—and Still Say No.
William L. Ury has served as a negotiation adviser and mediator in conflicts ranging from corporate mergers to ethnic wars in the Middle East. Co-founder of Harvard’s Program on Negotiation and Senior Fellow of the Harvard Negotiation Project, Dr. Ury is one of the world’s leading experts on negotiation. He is also the author of The Power of a Positive No: Save the Deal, Save the Relationship, and Still Say No and co-author (with Roger Fisher) of Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In, an eight-million-copy bestseller translated into over thirty languages.
Combine this author session with the Negotiation and Leadership and receive a total discounted rate.
Negotiation and Leadership 3-day Program: $3,497
Author Session 1-day Program: $1,750
Save $750 when you attend both:
Negotiation and Leadership and Difficult Conversations: $4,497
The Charles Hotel
One Bennett Street
Cambridge, MA 02138