Start Close to Home
Look for opportunities to play a helpful third-side role with friends, family members, and neighbors, whether it’s mediating a dispute over a home renovation or coaching a kid’s sporting team.
Change the Story
Though a problem may seem intractable, assume that you can help make things better. Start off by talking about the conflict in positive terms.
Learn Some Skills
Mediate Your Own Disputes
Confront the conflict in your own life, and apply the lessons learned to the disputes of others.
Fill a Missing Role
Use your strengths to help others in the most appropriate way. Figure out what help is needed and fill the role yourself.
Create a Winning Alliance
Recruit help and build a team. You can’t – and shouldn’t – do it all yourself.
Learn how to negotiate like a diplomat, think on your feet like an improv performer, and master job offer negotiation like a professional athlete when you download a copy of our FREE special report, Negotiation Skills: Negotiation Strategies and Negotiation Techniques to Help You Become a Better Negotiator, from the Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School.
- The Best Negotiation Exercises, Role-Plays And Videos For The New Semester
- Negotiation Techniques from International Diplomacy: Lessons for Business Negotiators
- Negotiation Workshop: Strategies, Tools, and Skills for Success
- Article: Negotiation and Nonviolent Action: Interacting in the World of Conflict
- Cross Cultural Communication: Translation and Negotiations